Adjustment of Status Through Marriage

Spread the love

The process of adjustment of status through marriage allows a foreign national who entered the United States on a K-1 fiance visa or similar non-immigrant visa to gain lawful permanent resident (green card) status in the US after marrying a citizen or green card holder. It’s a great option for people who want to stay in the US and are hoping to get their green cards quickly.

Is marriage a happy life?

However, it’s important to understand the requirements and timeline of this process before proceeding so that you don’t run into any issues. Boundless has put together a detailed article that covers the process of getting a green card through marriage including what records to submit and how long it takes to complete each step in the process.

To qualify for adjustment of status through marriage through marriage, the couple must meet all of the requirements of the program and prove that their marriage is bona fide. They will also have to pass background checks and provide documentation of their relationship. This includes pictures, shared finances and benefits, joint communication channels like mail, and more.

If the foreign national has overstayed their visa, they may run into issues with their adjustment of status application. USCIS will want to make sure that their marriage is valid and was not used as a sham for entering the country illegally.

It takes roughly a year to adjust status as the spouse of a U.S citizen and double that time for a spouse of a green card holder. Once the application is filed, the couple will have to attend an interview with a USCIS officer who will look at their case to make sure that everything meets the requirements of the program and that the marriage is bona fide.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *